6/3/12

Birthdays and Baseball

by: Danny

So, I turned 31 today. And, when a baseball junkie like myself has a birthday on a day like June 3, it's pretty easy to assume that the two have become intertwined quite a few times in my lifetime. Baseball memories on my birthday have become engrained in me over the years. I remember when I turned five, I had a fairly big birthday party at my house. Plenty of friends, plenty of cake, and plenty of presents. But, the thing that I was most excited about was that I would have enough people at my house to maybe get a front-yard baseball game going. I don't know why I remember that, but it's just one of those things that sticks out in my mind.

A few years later, when I hit nine years old, another party was planned. At this time, we were fortunate enough to have a swimming pool, so you can kind of guess what this party centered on. But, sure enough, baseball found a way to make itself present on this special day. As soon as the guests had left, my grandfather and I were on our way to the batting cage so that I could get some swings to tune up for an upcoming Little League game the next day.

Speaking of Little League, I guess my fondest memory of baseball on my birthday happened on the day I turned 11. I played for the Little League Orioles and we were taking on the Phillies that day. At that time, I was the type of hitter that could spray the ball around the ballpark. More of a line-drive hitter than a power hitter. In fact, I had never hit a home run in my career up to that day. But, in the late innings of that very game on June 3, 1992, I swatted a low fastball from a left-handed pitcher over the fence in center field to tie the game. We went on to win the game 8-6, and that home run become became one of my fondest baseball memories. What a day for a milestone hit.

I guess the birthday where I made the biggest profit regarding baseball had to be my 14th. My favorite team, the Baltimore Orioles, was playing that day and I was watching it with my grandfather. When my favorite player, Cal Ripken Jr., strode to the plate with the bases loaded, I just knew that something special was about to happen. I confidently said, "I bet he hits a grand slam." My grandfather responded by saying, "I'll bet you $20 he doesn't." With the next pitch, Cal hit a laser into the left field seats and I was $20 richer. What a memory!

It's plainly obvious that baseball has been a big part of my life, and has played a huge role on several of my birthdays. Heck, I remember taking my driving test the day I turned 16. While I was going through the necessary protocol to secure my license, the guy who was scoring me and I talked baseball the entire time. I made a 3-point turn while talking about the importance of a deep bullpen. The conversation must have kept me relaxed because I drove away that day with my license. While my days of playing baseball are over, I now have sons that are beginning to get interested in the game. Maybe one day, they will provide me with a birthday baseball memory as a result of their own accomplishments on the field. That would be pretty darn cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment