6/6/12

Black n' Gold Blitz - Vol. 2

by: Jeff

Its that time again, time for me to talk about my favorite sports teams. If you love Pittsburgh sports teams like I do, then sit back and enjoy. If you don't...then this might not be your cup of tea. Nonetheless, here are my thoughts and opinions on "The Big 3": the Steelers, Penguins, and Pirates.

- "Steeler Nation" has been buzzing about some of the changes with the team in the offseason. No, they weren't talking about the addition of TE Leonard Pope to the roster, but mainly of the players who were released. If you ask me, it was time to "cut the fat". Hines Ward was a great player for the Steelers, but his time had come where he wasn't effective anymore. James Farrior, Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke, and Bryant McFadden all fall into the category of players who had just lost too much to keep them. Everyone seems to be interested in what this team will look like. I will tell you that there will be some obvious changes, but that doesn't always mean that those changes are bad. The offense has had alot of talk since OTAs started (I wrote about them in the first edition of the Black n' Gold Blitz), but I think there will be some significant changes to the offense this year. Unlike when Bruce Arians was calling the shots, I don't feel the Steelers will be a pass happy offense.
They will throw it, but they will run it as well. The Steelers ran the ball only in obvious situations the past 2 years, and that put alot of pressure on the QB and WRs to constantly make crucial plays to extend drives, and/or cash in points. If they can remain balanced, they have the potential to be lethal. The defense will also have a different look, but could be alot faster. Everyone points to the CB position as a weakness, but if Keenan Lewis could step up opposite Ike Taylor and Cortez Allen could show enough to be the Nickel back, then that is a pretty solid seconday with Ryan Clark and Polamalu back there playing Centerfield. The LB position is where I see some holes. Larry Foote has been with the team all but one year of his NFL career, and he will be taking over for James Farrior this season. He has to show the explosiveness to match Lawrence Timmons in the middle so that he doesn't become a detriment to the team. 3rd year player, Stevenson Sylvester from Utah, is someone who I could see eventually taking over that spot in the ILB position. OLB we know what is there, but can the young and inexperienced Defensive Line do their job to free up the LBs to make plays? That is the biggest question mark in my opinion. Time will tell, but I can see this team being very good this season. My preseason predictions will be coming up at the start of training camp...be on the lookout.

- All has been quiet on the Penguins front, until the last few days. The Penguins made a splash in the free agent market by purchasing the rights to former Washington Capitals Goalie, Tomas Vokoun. Some people saw this as a threat to Marc Andre-Fleury, and I could be included in that group. However, the more I think about it, the more I think that they are picking up Vokoun to not only have a quality back up, but to give Fleury a rest from time to time. He played WAY too much this past season, and looked run down at the end of the season. Could Vokoun play his way into the starting role? For the first time in about 5 years I think it is possible. I think back to the slump that Fleury started off with this past season...if the Pens had a capable back up that became hot, would they have stuck with the hot hand or still gone back to "the flower"? I like Fleury, but I can't say that I trust him not to give up the ridiculous soft goal that he tends to give up in almost EVERY BIG GAME! Other Penguins news is that Sidney Crosby's contract
is nearing its end (in a couple years) and early rumors are that Sid is looking for a huge extension (I heard 14 years). My first reaction? Wow, that is a long time, but the more I thought about it the more I realized I'd give him the deal in a heart beat. Unlike Malkin who disappears when Crosby plays, Sidney is a phenomenal talent and the true Captain of the team. Not only is his play reason enough to extend his deal, but also the fact that with current contracts there are clauses in place to allow a team to release players, weigh the money in the front end of the deal, etc. to not have to "eat" all 14 years of a deal. Crosby faded a bit at the end of the season, but my guess is that he was out of shape. If he hasn't had any setbacks, Crosby should be able to train this offseason as he normally would, and be ready to go come next season. If he returns to form next season, you give him as many years as he wants, because in my opinion he is the best hockey player in the world when he is 100% healthy. He is "the franchise player".

- Typically the Buccos take the bottom of the billing in the Black n' Gold Blitz, and they do again, but "I don't know if you noticed (and judging by attendance you haven't)" (great Major League line)the Pirates are quiety going about their business winning 8 of their last 10 games and are now only 2 games out of first place in the NL Central with 2 games remaining against the 1st place Reds the next two days. Do the math...if they win their next two, then they are tied for first place. The biggest difference has been their hitting. This team couldn't hit water if it fell out of a boat in the first 50 games, but something happened recently that has
players besides Andrew McCutcheon hitting the snot out of the ball. With their bats starting to wake up, it is helping a solid pitching staff and bullpen do their job and get some quality wins. 2 bright spots in the starting rotation would be both James McDonald and AJ Burnett. Both have 5 wins on the season so far, and McDonald is sporting a very nice 2.14 ERA. I am not going to write too much about this team to pump them up because it could turn south in a heart beat, but I can't help but look at their upcoming schedule (2 @ Cincinnati, 3 vs. Kansas City, and 3 @ Baltimore) and think they have a shot at staying above .500. They are currently 28-26 and showing the promise so many Bucco fans have been waiting to see for years. I'm hoping they keep it afloat and contend well into the second half. I will be traveling to Baltimore next Thursday to see the game vs. the Orioles at beautiful Camden Yards. Be on the look out for a write up and some pictures from the game.

Until next time Pittsburgh fans...GO BLACK N' GOLD!

No comments:

Post a Comment